Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Observations: In Praise of Hybrids

Barack Obama has won the U.S. Presidential election. Plenty has already been said about his historic victory, so I am not going to give you my take on it. Suffice to say, the challenges facing him are daunting. The most important and immediate challenge he faces is finding ways to resuscitate the U.S. economy. A normal remedy would include a massive increase in public spending, which is what Franklin Delano Roosevelt (FDR) did during the Great Depression, seventy years ago. However, Obama will find this difficult to do since the U.S. federal deficit is already at an all-time high. Besides, any additional public spending would probably mean an increase in taxes as well as the potential threat of higher inflation. In a time where people are losing jobs, this will be an extremely unpopular thing to do. It will be interesting to see how he deals with the global economic crisis. A silver lining will be the fact that the Democrats have gained substantially in the races for the Senate as well as the House of Representatives. This should make it easier for him to introduce any legislation he has in mind to improve the world’s economic situation. Yes, it is the world’s economic situation that will be determined by Obama’s policies, and not just America’s.

But I digress. This blog is not about Obama’s victory. Instead, it is about something that many people do not know or consider important. The media all over the world has been waxing eloquent about Obama being the first “black/African-American” person to become the U.S. President. Actually, Obama is not black. He is of mixed race. His father was an African-American, while his mother was white. The media always needs to categorise whatever they report, so it is convenient to slot Obama as a black man. Like I said a little earlier, this is not a fact.

Obama (like Yours Truly) is a hybrid. He is a racial hybrid; while I am an ethnic hybrid (my father is a Bengali, while my mother is a Kannadiga). In my own small way, I have faced similar problems. Indians I meet always ask me my ethnic background. There is no simple way to answer this question. I either say “Bengali” if I want to give them a short answer. If I am in a chatty mood, I give them the long answer, which is: “My father is a Bengali who grew up in Mumbai. My mother is a Konkani-speaking Kannadiga who grew up in Karnataka. I was born and raised in a Roman Catholic neighbourhood in Bombay, so I frequently went to church. In the impressionable years of my youth, I spent six years living and studying in America, which made me very independent-minded and shaped my identity”.

This last encyclopaedic answer effectively shuts people up. It is also the correct answer. There are many people who find it difficult to categorise me. In their minds, I am a “Bengali”. This is incorrect, but I guess it works for them. Understanding the truth sometimes requires patience, the ability to listen and the realization that every question in the world does not have a neat answer which can be put into a box. Many people aren’t interested in the truth; they only need an answer that can be easily categorised.

I can vouch for the fact that there are plenty of positives about being a hybrid. For Obama, it is being able to reach out to people across races and classes, Democrats and Republicans, to develop consensus. He can relate to blacks as well as whites. He has enough of a perspective to understand the unique challenges and advantages faced by both races. In my own small way, I can relate. I can understand the Bengali language as well as its customs, traditions and rituals. I can also understand my mother’s language and heritage. Add to that the fact that I grew up in cosmopolitan Bombay, and lived and worked across cultures and countries, and this puts me in a pretty unique position.

There are narrow-minded Indians who feel that the ethnic group they belong to is somehow superior to other ethnic groups in the country. There have been enough instances of this in the national news lately. Frankly, I find this laughable. Obviously, these individuals and groups have their heads buried in the sand.

My advice to them is simple – pull your head out of your ass and take a look around you. The world is large and diverse. India is only a small part of what the world has to offer. Take the time out to learn and understand the various cultures and ethnic groups in India. You may be astonished to learn that many of your deep-rooted beliefs are inaccurate and just plain wrong. You may be surprised to find that some of the traditions and histories of other ethnic groups are actually richer and more interesting than your own.

For my outlook on life, I have my parents to thank. They brought me up to be an Indian and a citizen of the world. They taught me to be independent minded, to search for the truth, and to refuse to settle for easy, incorrect answers. Sometimes, the search for the truth can be a frustrating and unsettling experience. It can also be lonely. It requires the searcher to constantly learn new things, and to frequently challenge cherished long-standing beliefs. Each person’s search for the truth is his or her own, and there are no prefabricated paths for you to walk on. To quote the lines of an old song by Van Morrison; “No Guru, No Method, No Teacher”.

So I wish Barack Obama all the best in his quest to rejuvenate America, the greatest country in the world. He is faced with some formidable problems – an ailing economy, an unpopular war and an empty treasury. But he also has a unique set of qualities and a diverse background. He is neither black nor white; he grew up in the American heartland of Chicago, but also in Indonesia and Kenya, he understands the problems of poor inner cities in America, but also studied at Harvard. He is a hybrid, and like all hybrids, he can understand issues that many others cannot. He may or may not succeed in his quest. But as a hybrid, I am rooting for him.

Thanks for listening!!

12 comments:

websmith said...

hi Sandeep,

Again rings so true. Am also a hybrid - dad is tam bram and mom is part andhra and part bengali (christian from both sides). i used to be married to a maharashtrian girl. From my mom's side each sibling married outside the community (what community!:-)) and to a chinese woman, a nigerian man, a bengali woman and one brother converted to islam and had two wives. from dad's part of the family we have had all races, colours, religions, and most recently for me to proudly announce, a cousin of mine married his male partner, obviously overseas.

yeah for some people to be narrow minded about religion, caste, creed and or differences - i echo the same refrain - pull yo head out of yo ass! my dad's blog - rummuser.com has got some gems about stuff like this. take a look when you can.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandeep,

My compliments on a very well written blog post.

My compliments to your family as well.

Unknown said...

Hey Sandeep,

I guess a lot of people these days are going to endorse your view.I personally think that hybrid children are way more intelligent and have a broader perspective to life than kids of couples of the same caste and culture. I too have a houch pouch family background, my father a nair and mum, half english and half spanish...I too agree on your article, that is well written and please do write a good book someday sooooooooooon.Ure well wisher!!!

Unknown said...

Hey Sandeep,

I guess a lot of people these days are going to endorse your view.I personally think that hybrid children are way more intelligent and have a broader perspective to life than kids of couples of the same caste and culture. I too have a houch pouch family background, my father a nair and mum, half english and half spanish...I too agree on your article, that is well written and please do write a good book someday sooooooooooon.Ure well wisher!!!

Anonymous said...

I came to this post from rummuser's blog, which I've been reading for a couple of months.

I think what you are saying is going to ring true for people around the world. And that is great.

However, in America, with our peculiar history, if you have any African ancestry, you're black. A significant percentage of African Americans who descended from slaves have some degree of white ancestry from white slave owners and overseers. Some escaped the hate and bigotry of the years between our civil war and the late 20th century by being light enough to "pass" for white. Yet if they were discovered to have any hint of the "tar brush" in their ancestry, they were automatically relegated back to being black.

Barack Obama will never be considered white in America by most people. He also doesn't look like all of the presidents of the past and that is a very good thing -- for all of us.

More importantly, he is a highly articulate, very intelligent person who can connect and work with people of different backgrounds -- which is a remarkable shift from our current president.

Me? I'm a fat, white guy in my late 50s. My ancestry is English, Irish, Czech, French, and German, with just a touch of American Indian.

Diane said...

Hi Sandeep,
I am here to from your dad's post as well.
I love the choice of words here. Hybrid, Its just perfect!
America is the melting pot of so many diverse nationalities. America the land of Hybrids! I like the sound of that.
Namaste,
Diane

Shekar said...

Hi Sandeep:
You know me well enough for me to express my contrarian (always contrarian to anything) views here.

I think whatever you have said in the article about the views, achievements etc as Hybrid, probably has nothing to do with being a hybrid, rather it is the desire in you to be a better person. I do personally know of (even in US, especially persons of Indian Origin) who are hybrids, suffer quite a bit, due to loss identity -- or that is the way they feel, because they don't know what to associate themselves with. So, it appears, like anything else it has both sides.

Reaching out to people, respecting other cultures are all values that need to be taught at a young age, or to be learnt as a person grows. If someone lacks that, it cannot be attributed to lack of/emergence out of hybrid, rather the way the individual grew up. Tolerance, respect, and quest for knowledge are core values of any human being and doesn't come, because of union under which they were born. If one were to argue that it is more prevalent in hybrids than others, I can only ask them to re-examine their thoughts, because the world consists of large population from monotony.

It is one thing to know/understand about very many things, but it is quite a different thing to attach and practice few selective things. That is how identity of an individual is established. I am not advocating to take sides and become a fundamentalist, but choose specific things that suits the individual person's taste, and therefore define an identity for themselves, yet continue to give respect to other sides. To practice that, it doesn't matter whether hybrid or not, but only matters whether a person has worldly views or narrow views.

When people tell me that Obama is an African American, Sarah Palin is a woman, and McCain is a white Sandeep isa hybrid etc, it simply doesn't appear to me that way. I look at those individuals as person with specific capabilities and talent and I measure them based on that. Therefore, I don't see any big deal in Obama becoming the President, because he is a hybrid, or black or brown or white or whatever. Obama's color doesn't register with me, rather his capabilities to bring us out of our current economic mess stands largely in front of me.

My thinking is better explained through my college life. When I left India to study in US, have never stayed in a hostel before, so first time out of home in the US. Used to be pretty sensitive about quite a few things, hence I got picked constantly by my roommates, and friends. Granted this gave me a fantastic list of friends that I still cherish, but initially I used to be irked at the fact that I was always picked upon. I soon came to realize that everybody loved to pick on me because the way I reacted each time to their picking and it gave them immense entertainment to pick on me further. Once I stopped responding to their picking on me, eventually it all stopped -- mind you, I didn't lose all my idiosyncracies, but it just didn't get picked upon much any more.

What I am trying to suggest is that people who feel vicitimized (or grouped differently because of whatever their identity attributes are) they need to ignore anything that brings up discussions on those attributes. Rather engage in activities that are common to the group or audience, then the fact of color,race, religiion, sex, sexual orientation.... all goes away, only individual capabilties remain in focus. [E.g. why do we even have a feminist movement, is it because, women feel inferior to men? I don't think so, but if someone does, then obviously they have to examine the facts, again!]

Case in Point: I wouldn't have even written anything about any of this if you haven't brought up a topic about Hybrid. My friendship 100% for sure, ain't going to change with Sandeep because, whether you are hybrid or not, in fact didn't know about that until today; and, it really does not matter to me. The Sandeep that I know is a kind, caring, highly capable, driven, fun to be around and friendly person to befriend and that is all it matters.

Now that I picked on this topic, I hope someone would pick on my opinion. I am waiting -- not to engage in any further war of words, but to hear different opinion, of course.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Sandeep,

Well written, as always. I am not, in the true sense, a hybrid, as you call those born of differing races or ethnicity, but I know what it means to feel like one.

I was born in the UK and spent my childhood surrounded by British children, families and friends, with the exception of two South Indian children and a Pakistani boy. I grew up with a British sensibility (not even ‘Western’, as that would encompass the sensibility of USA, which is quite different from that of the UK).

My parents are Goan Hindu Brahmins, but I was not aware of that fact, or indeed, of the existence of castes until I came to India. I was, however, aware of racial differences, and faced, as all Indian, Pakistani and African children did, a certain amount of racial discrimination from a few classmates. I put this down to the influence (or ignorance) of their parents, who had clearly not taught their children the values of equality and respect for all races. Television was not a great influence in those days, as children spent only an hour or so watching Playschool and Blue Peter on TV, and the rest outdoors, playing.

I must say, however, that on the whole, my life there was pleasant and without prejudice.

It could have been that my father was a surgeon and we were constantly surrounded by educated, intelligent friends, mostly doctors and nurses from all over the world, like Pakistan, India, Australia, China, America, Ireland, Scotland and of course England. It could also have been the fact that Wales, where we lived, is a country of peaceful, friendly and tolerant people who, while being proud of their own culture, have little aversion to people of any race.

Whatever the reason, life was much like any other British kid growing up there at the time, and bothersome questions of physical or cultural differences hardly ever arose.

Until I came to India.

Here, I was made immediately aware not just of differences of religion, race, caste, community, language and class, but even of colour. The cultural shock was overwhelming and bewildering. But I learnt, as children do, to adjust to my new surroundings and meld into them as best I could.

To cut an (already too) long story short, India was a new life. In Britain, I had already been exposed to other cultures. I had visited countries like France, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Italy and others on holiday. I had stayed a year in Scotland while my father studied for his FRCS.

But in India, a met a multitude of cultures, religions, colours, languages and castes without even stepping out of the country. I lived in several places in Goa, whose chief religions are Hinduism and Christianity with a smattering of Islam and other minorities. I visited other places in India – Gujarat, Madras, Delhi, Himachal Pradesh, places around Maharashtra. I visited other countries – Sri Lanka, Dubai, America, Europe and the UK. Mumbai, where I’ve been living for the past twenty years, was a cosmopolitan melting pot of cultures. Over all these years of shift, I have attended thirteen educational institutions.

Which brings me to the point I wanted to make with regard to your blog. That it is more exposure to different countries, cultures, people and ideas that shapes who we are and what we choose to become. Hybrids are just given that chance early on and get a head start over the rest of us.

That said, every line of your article rings true. To be exposed to even a part of this world’s complex and multifaceted personality, and to be able to learn, think and act from that exposure, you have to be one of the lucky few. I, like you, count myself among those.

Anonymous said...

Let me get my bit of scientific obsessiveness off my chest first. he is not a hybrid - and neither are you. Afro-americans and whites are not sub-secies of homo sapiens but are races - a different thing.

I also am a mongrel - of Scottish, Welsh and Irish descent. They do say that mongrel dogs are the most intelligent and I suspect the same applies with Humans!

Having got that off my chest I do very strongly agree with the thrust of your post.

"Each person’s search for the truth is his or her own,..."

Very very true my friend.

"... and there are no prefabricated paths for you to walk on."

Well there are pre-fabricated pathst but you would do well to examine them carefully before you walk on them!

Nice post.

Anonymous said...

Shekar, your comments are simply fantastic. I however do not think that they are contrarian. If any thing, your comments add very nicely to Sandeep's thoughts and compliment them. Very well written and I really appreciate your views.

Unknown said...

hie Sandy,
Its nice to see yet another good piece of work.. sorry as usual I am the last to post my comments:)
Have not experienced a hybrid life, since I come from a very conservative, traditional family, but always had a lot of cross cultural friends, who changed my outlook towards life..
And the fact that we are getting mamrried will get me into a hybrid family :) amazing mix of people we will be :-)
Its a nice feeling to step beyond your boundaries and know the world.. this bolg will surely stir the feelings of a lot of people who are sailing in the same boat.
All the best and keep writing good stuff!