Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Home: A Place Where Birds Nest


As someone who has spent more than half his adult life living away from home, every piece of news and information about it is valuable and precious. I make it a point to read all the latest political, economic and sports news about India very regularly. I incessantly e-mail friends to find out what is happening back home. Even the most seemingly trivial piece of information is most welcome.

Which is why I was thrilled to learn that a family of songbirds has made a nest in our little terrace garden back in Pune, India. There is nothing grand or magnificent about our Pune home. It is a spacious, bright two-bedroom apartment in one of the nicer parts of the city, surrounded by lots of trees. There is plenty of natural light that streams through the house. The main attraction of the place is the little terrace garden we have, which is being looked after (quite well, it seems) by our maid. One of the distinguishing features of the place is the continuous sound of birdsong, in part due to the little lawn we have. Birds of many varieties come by, looking for worms on the lawn. I have spent many a lazy afternoon, watching them as they visited the lawn. Once they figured out that this unemployed guy wasn’t a threat, they became completely unafraid of me.

Apparently, a family of songbirds have taken a fancy to one of the bamboo trees we have in the garden, and built a nest there. I like to grandly call it the “bamboo grove”, but in fact, it is just four bamboo trees, that we planted last year and which have now grown to over seven feet tall.

We spent a lot of time last year looking for a nice home. I have a marked tendency to over-analyze, and would probably still be searching for the appropriate home if it hadn’t been for Deepali. She took one look at the open space that eventually became the terrace garden and decided that this was the place she wanted to live in.

It was a great decision in hindsight. Both of us love the place. We have made some good friends in the neighbourhood. When we do live there (which is not very often lately), we often have friends over. People we know seem to love the place as well. I flatter myself, but I do believe that the place gives off a relaxed, positive, cheerful vibe that attracts visitors (including feathered ones).

It is great to know that a family of songbirds has found our home a fit enough place to raise a family. Home after all, is where birds come to nest, isn’t it?

3 comments:

Ramana Rajgopaul said...

Congratulations. I have been to your terrace garden and know how lovely it is. On the occasions that I have been there however, we had rain or drizzle and I could not spend lazy time there, but I look forward to doing so when you are back and in drier climes.

I wonder if you had noticed. In our hedge we have a whole colony of sparrows who make such a racket if I forget to give them their morning breakfast. They come very close to where I sit with my tea and raise an infernal racket till I get off my butt and feed them.

Many other types of birds also drop in and Urmeela and I used to watch for hours together. I don't anymore.

Melanie said...

The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.
-- Maya Angelou

Just thought this was befitting of your blog :)

Ps: Love your terrace garden too.

Grannymar said...

A senile old man sent in your direction! ;)

I love my garden early on a Sunday morning when even the birds rejoice in the absence of traffic and busy-ness of the normal work day. It is perfect, just perfect!