Thursday, December 11, 2008

Indian Heroes: The Mangal Deep School for the Mentally Handicapped

The last few weeks, and indeed months, have brought us nothing but bad news in India. The economic slowdown was the first bit of bad news we heard about. Then the spate of terror bombings across the country, culminating in the mowing down of innocents in Mumbai two weeks ago. Our politicians seem too weak-kneed, incompetent and corrupt to deal with the situation.

Heroes seem hard to find in this day and age. But they still exist, as I found to my pleasant surprise. It is just that they are hidden and not easy to find. They quietly go about their business, saving lives one by one, against all odds.

This is the story of the Mangal Deep School for Mentally Handicapped Children in the mountain town of Almora, deep in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand. On our recent trip to the Himalayas, my wife and I were taken to meet the founder, students and staff of this school. I was wary. Many Indian NGOs (non-governmental agencies) that are ostensibly set up to provide social welfare and justice are just as corrupt and inefficient as their governmental counterparts. Many of them use monies received from well-meaning donors to feather their own nests, instead of using the funds to benefit their intended audience. I am personally aware of two or three such NGOs that have duped me in the past.

So the Mangal Deep School for Mentally Handicapped Children came as a very pleasant surprise. Set on a picturesque ridge in a village below the town of Almora, the school premises commands a very impressive view of the Central Himalayan Ranges.

The school was started ten years ago, with a student population of only five children. Today, it has grown to cater to fifty children with special needs. The founder and staff of the school are extraordinarily dedicated. Over the years, they have learnt to cater to students with many different needs (the latest student to enrol is autistic). They have learnt this on their own, with little or no support from state and central governmental agencies (more on this later). The school was set up by a retired college teacher who used her entire pension and retirement funds to start the school. She must be nearly seventy years old, but she is indefatigable and always cheerful. I have not seen such positive energy in people half her age. She is also self-effacing to a fault. Over the years, this extraordinary lady and her staff have learnt to deal with students with varying kinds of special needs, indifferent, occasionally hostile parents, a sceptical and conservative society, and apathetic and often corrupt governmental agencies. And they do all this with a smile on their face.

But the real stars of the school are the students themselves. Each student is taught a vocation based on their talents, so that they become financially independent and help support their families, who are often poor. We were astonished to find the high levels of artistic ability that these children possessed. They make high-quality dinner and place mats, greetings cards, hand-woven carpets and gift bags, among other things. You and I would pay big bucks for these items in any big-city mall. The school has succeeded in making the students financially independent and gone a long way in helping many of them enhance their worth in the eyes of their families. The students are also taught to read and write And all of this is done with smiles and good cheer.

The less said about assistance the government is supposed to provide, the better. The number of approvals required to receive allocated financial assistance from the government are many, and frankly, quite ridiculous. Every governmental agency in the chain wants its own cut or bribe. It is truly shocking. I knew corruption in Indian government agencies was endemic, but the extent and the brazenness of it left me speechless, when I found out details. I know who these corrupt governmental agencies are, but I will not name them in this blog, because it may get the school into trouble. Suffice to say, the school authorities have squarely refused to pay bribes to obtain the financial assistance promised to them. Like in most other facets of Indian life, the government is an obstacle to overcome, and not a facilitator.

But let me come back to the school and its founder and staff. They work hard, against all odds, to cater to a forgotten and neglected section of our society. They ask for very little in return. They do this only because this is the right thing to do. They soldier on and prevail in the face of daunting adversity that would deter most other people (it would certainly deter me). In my book, this makes them true heroes. Forget our self-obsessed celluloid stars in Bollywood and our overpaid, over-hyped cricketers. What this school is doing is noble, it is real, it is right.

For many years, I have felt guilty of not even attempting to return a little bit to the country that made me – India. Now I have the opportunity to do so, in a small way. My wife and I intend contributing what we can to help the Mangal Deep School grow and flourish. At this point in time, modest financial assistance is all we can offer. If we choose to settle down and live in that part of the country some years from now (this is very much part of the grand plan), we will find other ways we can contribute.

If you are interested in finding out more about the Mangal Deep School, please contact me. Do something good, feel something real. Thanks.

6 comments:

Ramana Rajgopaul said...

Hi Sandeep, I would have visited this blog as a routine even without your email to do so.

Okay, here is the deal. I would like to make a donation preferably by bank transfer from my account to theirs. If that is not possible for any reason, do let me know how to go about it.

Regards.

Unknown said...

Dear Mr Gupta
I am glad to see your note on Mangaldeep. I and my daughter Ila have been involved with them and also donate humble sums to them regularly. I am giving below a note written on them by Ila.
Pl note that Mangaldeep can not accept foreign grants/donations without FCRA permit. There also there is a lot of corruption.
I belong to Almora and have returned back to my roots after my retirement from Physical Research laboratory (PRL) Ahmedabad and doing some social work and documentation on Traditional knowledge Systems.
If you give me your ID I can send you a note written about Ila Imani on mangaldeep.
DP Agrawal (dpalmora@gmail.com)
=

Ambika said...

Hi Sandeep. This is Ambika from Times Now news channel. We are very keen to profile the efforts of Manorama Joshi and Mangaldeep school. I am unable to contact any one from there. This is to request you to please share her contact details. You can write to me at ambika.sharma@timesgroup.com
Really appreciate it! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was
great. I do not know who you are but definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you are
not already ;) Cheers!

Feel free to visit my web page; Le Papillon On The Park

yanmaneee said...

yeezy
nike air max 2019
christian louboutin shoes
air jordan
golden goose
adidas ultra boost
hermes handbags
fila shoes
air yeezy
yeezy

yanmaneee said...

hermes
supreme clothing
supreme clothing
yeezy boost
kenzo clothing
kyrie 7 shoes
balenciaga shoes
off-white
golden goose shoes
canada goose jacket